Sugar-Free Baked Beans
If you love beans on toast or grill-ups on Saturday mornings, then this one is for you! Unfortunately, the tins of beans lining supermarket shelves are sky-high in added sugars, as well as other nasties. However, don’t worry – my homemade beans, which were featured on ITV1’s Sugar Free Farm, are easy to make and taste utterly delicious, thanks to the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and cinnamon. No sugar needed!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 ripe tomatoes, blanched, skinned and chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 sweet potato, steamed and pureed
400g can of haricot or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and black pepper
*If you don’t have the time to blanch and skin fresh tomatoes you can use one 400g tin of chopped tomatoes or passata instead. If you choose to use passata, you can skip step four below as the sauce will not need to be blended.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion and sauté over a medium heat for several minutes until the onion is softened and starting to caramelise.
2. Add the tomatoes, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, and season well with salt and black pepper.
3. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes have reduced down into a thick sauce, add the sweet potato puree and if needed add more seasoning to taste. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes.
4. Purée the sauce in a blender and then return to the saucepan.
5. Add the beans and simmer for a few minutes to warm them through before serving.
Looking for more recipes? We are always busy developing new recipes so Join my Health Tribe to make sure you’re the first to hear all about them!
I wish you good health!
Consult your doctor or health care practitioner regarding any health problems, before embarking on any new health regimes, using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications or food programmes.